With the Patriots win over the Steelers on Sunday afternoon, the Patriots have moved into a first-place tie with Pittsburgh. By virtue of their head-to-head win over the Steelers, they own the tiebreaker and currently hold the top seed in the conference, and thus, home field advantage throughout the playoffs.
Current AFC Standings
|New England Patriots (1)||11||3||0||East Champion||head-to-head record|
|Pittsburgh Steelers (2)||11||3||0||North Champion|
|Jacksonville Jaguars (3)||10||4||0||South Champion|
|Kansas City Chiefs (4)||8||6||0||West Champion|
|Tennessee Titans (5)||8||6||0||Wild Card #1||conference win percentage|
|Buffalo Bills (6)||8||6||0||Wild Card #2||strength of victory|
|Los Angeles Chargers||7||7||0|
|Oakland Raiders||6||8||0||head-to-head record|
Patriots: vs. Bills (8-6), vs. Jets (5-9)
Steelers: at Texans (4-10), vs. Browns (0-14)
Jaguars: at 49ers (4-10), at Titans (8-6)
Patriots Playoff Scenarios
- If the Patriots win both of their remaining games, they’d clinch the top seed, regardless of what the Steelers and Jaguars do.
- If the Patriots win one game, they’d need both the Steelers and Jaguars to lose one game each to clinch the #1 seed.
- In the event the Patriots and Steelers finish tied, the Patriots would take the #1 seed.
- If all three teams finish at 11-5, the Jaguars would be the #1 seed based on conference record over the Patriots, and head-to-head vs. the Steelers, and the Patriots would be #2 based on their victory over the Steelers.
- If the Patriots and Jaguars finished tied, the Jaguars would win the top seed based on winning percentage in conference games, the Patriots would be the #2 seed.
- Even if the Patriots lose both games, they could still finish no lower than the #3 seed.
What Can Be Clinched this Weekend?
- A Patriots win, coupled with losses by the Jaguars and Steelers clinches home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.
- A Patriots win, coupled with a loss by either the Jaguars or the Steelers would clinch a first-round bye.